Why Am I Afraid of the Dentist?
If you’ve been putting off a visit to Dr. Desai because you’re afraid of the dentist, you’re not alone. Some studies show that around 15% of Americans avoid visiting the dentist because they are afraid or anxious. Today, we want to identify a few common causes of dental phobia and share some knowledge that may help you overcome it so you can get the care you need to keep your teeth healthy and strong.
Common Causes of Dental Fear:
Often, our patients mention that they are afraid of getting their teeth examined or undergoing certain procedures because they believe it will hurt. Whether this belief is the result of some previous traumatic experience at the dentist or based on depictions in the media, our team will reassure you that we take every precaution to make sure that your visit is as comfortable, pain-free, and stress-free as possible. Moreover, ask us about our dental sedation options that can help you remain relaxed throughout your visit!
We understand that the dentist’s chair may feel like a vulnerable place to be. For that reason, we encourage our patients to familiarize themselves with our team and our office, and to ask questions before, during, and after their appointment. We will take extra time to explain exactly what will occur during any given procedure, and we can help you figure out the best payment options for your unique situation.
How to Manage Dental Anxiety:
There are many things you can do to help ease your fear of the dentist:
1. Choose North Richland Hills Dentistry as your dentist, because we understand your worries concerning feelings of pain and helplessness. We hope that after meeting Dr. Desai, making yourself at home in our welcoming office, checking out our patient amenities, and receiving quality care from our compassionate team, you'll feel less dental anxiety.
2. Try breathing and relaxation techniques.
3. Listen to soothing music.
4. Get a good night's sleep the day before your appointment so can you feel alert and refreshed.
5. Bring a friend to help you feel more comfortable during your dental treatment.
We Want to Help You Get the Dental Care You Need!
Do you have any other strategies you’ve used to help overcome your fear of the dentist? We want to hear from you! To learn more about how our team will help you feel safe, comfortable, and confident during your next dental appointment or to schedule a visit to our office, contact us today.